Sunday, June 29, 2008

It Has Been Awhile, But I'm Back


I haven't had a post since March and outdoor activities of spring/summer have really taken time away from being able to keep this blog updated, but I'm back and hope to stay on top of it now.

Here are some photos of the new build. The frame is a Zion 660, 4130 chromoly steel made in Taiwan. The welds look very well done, at least what I would judge as well done and this is my first steel bike since a Schwinn World in the mid to late 80's. Back then I just rode the bike, I didn't look at welds. I would ride 'wheelies' for blocks on that thing!!


Being frugal I opted to outfit this bike with Shimano XT since every component is nearly half the price of XTR. The fork is an '09 Fox 32 Talas RLC 100-140mm. This is my first Fox fork and I've always wanted to give one a try. The 2009 has been updated with new seals and optimized spring curves for each travel setting. The Talas is the Rock Shox Reba counterpart. I haven't ridden this fork yet but the Reba is a little more user friendly.





Of course nothing but a Thomson stem and post, King head-set and Mavic wheels. Another set of I9's would be great but too much cabbage.

















No cassette and no RD or FD but those parts should be arriving soon. I just fitted an old Selle Italia SLR saddle for the picture but I don't think that will be comfortable enough. I put a yellow SLR Gel-flow on the Klein and I like it, perhaps a black one for the 660.










I thought of trying out the Ergon grips since they look comfortable but the reviews were not favorable to handling, so I have a set of ODI's for now.

No comments: