Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Vassago Project


The Vassago Project - sounds like some Russian nuclear experiment. Nope, just little ole me putting together my first 29er. I should've taken the hint from Troyzilla (aka BikingWino) this past winter/spring and skipped the Klein 26er.







My choice for a frameset was one of two. Either the Niner M.C.R. or the Vassago Bandersnatch. I chose the Snatch for two reasons, first it was $370 cheaper and second it was in my favorite color, silver. Phantom metallic silver to be exact.



In order to build this beast I had to create some cash fast. Since I'm not a rising star millionaire and I don't have a cigar box of gold coins buried in my back yard somethin' had to give and it was the Klein. It's been stripped and all parts ready to be transferred. The 26" fork and wheels had to be sold to generate cabbage of the printed green kind quick enough to put this thing together so I can ride it before the season ends. I'm movin', I'm movin', I'm movin' I tellz'ya.






Snatch... hee hee.


You know, the more I look at this 'blood red' paint the more I'm liking it.








Here is what type on the Vassago website reads about BanderSnatch:

'The legendary beast that travels the land at incredible speed, devouring everything in it's path. If you didn't pay attention in school, have no fear. It doesn't really matter.
What you really need to know is the BanderSnatch is a gear-specific, 29er, with all the fixins at a price the wife will never even notice.
New for '08, the BanderSnatch has made it through the "Apollo Creed treadmill routine" and is now stronger and fitter than ever before. Every inch has been further refined and optimized to provide an even more laterally stiff frame, while retaining the signature Vassago compliance over the rough stuff.
Thanks to the new "SupaFly" dropouts and refined internal butting, the BanderSnatch boasts an even stiffer rear end and bottom bracket while retaining it's svelte 5lb figure.


More to come soon as the remaining parts come rolling in. Wait, what remaining parts, I thought it was a direct transfer except for the fork and wheels? Well, sort of. The seat tube diameter on Klein is much wider and me gotz no clamp band adapters for the 28.6 mm of the snatch. I had to order them because they weren't included when I bought it. Actually I didn't think I would be parting out that bike this quickly, but, well, ya know, crazy shit happens. I also want a perfect color match with components so I need a new bar too.

No comments: